10 Reasons to Hope this July 4th…
Here is my newsletter out to the 21st Century Americans group…to tell them to keep fighting and to give us hope. At times, hope is one of the best weapons Americans have!
I am going to try and be as optimistic as I can in the circumstances….Here is a list of 10 things we can be grateful for in the wake of the recent decisions and dire predictions we face
1. I am Grateful that we still live in a country of Free Speech. That means protests and they are going to have to continue until the midterms and elections to keep our Democracy
2. I am Grateful that the Ukranian Army has held off Russia in an inspiring way-Watch the Ukranian Orchestra pay homage to our country’s 4th of July Celebration with a moving rendition of The Star Spangled Banner
3. I am Thankful that we have so many young people, men & women, who DO understand the gravity and are willing to help us protest in the wake of the fall of Roe and the Climate Change decision. Because our future will be one where Science & Technology win the day in the 21st Century….we still are not sure we will be a World Power when the technology innovations are there…?
4. I am so Thankful for the January 6th Committee holding responsible those who committed crimes and tried to overthrow our Government in an Insurrection on January 6th of 2021.
5. I am Grateful we do have Democratic Leaders who are willing to fight for what is right. That includes Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, Sheldon Whitehouse, AOC, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders and many many others who are fighting For the Democratic form of Government and doing the best they can do at this time…
6. I am grateful for Republicans who have “seen the light.” Mitt Romney voted to impeach Trump, his campaign manager Stuart Stevens wrote a book entitled, “It was all a Lie”; Jeb Bush’s Campaign Adviser is also now working with Dems; Nicolle Wallace and Steve Schmidt are vital voices for our cause, The Lincoln Project, The Bulwark and of course, Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger are playing vital roles in this defense of our democracy. We need more of them…
7. I am grateful there are more of ‘us’ than of them in this world…. I mean those that believe in free speech, against tyranny such as DeSantis’ proposed “Brown-Shirt Fascists” to patrol our Elections and prevent people from voting….More of us who believe in PRIVACY LAWS that prevent anyone from entering our bedrooms, our on-line data, from crossing state lines, from helping others in need….and for women and MEN”S Reproductive Freedom….
8. I am Thankful we have the support of the Global Leaders in a fight for keeping our Democracy intact and supporting women’s rights and Climate Change. It would be all the more tragic if we were in a world Minority as well as a Minority rule here in the US
9. I am grateful the lower Courts have held up in this fight and showed that there are those who believe in the Rule of Law as a way forward. (NOT counting the Supreme Court of course!)
10. I am Thankful that there are Governors in states like California and New York, as well as candidates like Stacey Abrams and Beto O’ Rourke who can give us hope for the future that all is not lost. IF we can imagine a state like Texas or both Texas & Georgia to flip blue this November, we may feel better about the Democracy. If the Center holds and we control at least the SENATE or perhaps both Houses, all is not lost…..
THAT BEING STATED….I have struggled with a feeling of bitterness as it has become clearer in recent days that the Tipping Point for our Democracy was the defeat of Hillary Clinton and the instatement of Trump in the office of the Presidency. I believe more people should have fought harder and believed us when we said we knew what he was….And it is my hope that there may be some preservation of our Democratic form of Government in this struggle…as the “Dark Force Strikes Back” we can also rebel in a peaceful manner.
And of course we must vote to keep our democratic institutions, and vote in and elect more Governors and state officials to preserve the democracy. Here in Florida, we have had weak leadership in state offices that has not emphasized the importance of statewide elections. We need to do better and do more on a statewide level. The largest states are New York, California, Texas and Florida. If THREE or FOUR had Democratic Governors, there would be less partisan interference in the Presidential election in 2024.
I hope that people realize that all is not lost…And that no one will give up on our Democracy. The stakes are too high, we have come too far, there are too many truly GOOD people in this country that help others and do the right thing to just throw up our hands and walk away….
God truly does need to BLESS America and to make this a more peaceful and united land. I am not a magician or a fortune teller, but my fervent hope is that things will be better in the coming year. I know that if we give up, there is no hope…..To all who live in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave, Yours in the fight for our Democracy…The Struggle will continue!
God Bless You all-ML
*If you would like to be part of the 21st Century Americans group, please join us for monthly newsletters and ways to participate in events in your area…Sign up here for the monthly newsletter. Your information is never shared.